Welcome Back and Happy New Year 2019!
How quickly the school year passes! The second semester has begun with renewed energy and excitement, and we look forward to busy months ahead.
Uniform Reminder: With the unusually chilly weather, IPS would like to remind everyone that uniforms are required. The IPS sweatshirt is preferred as a warmer layer, but a PLAIN navy blue or a PLAIN black sweatshirt is acceptable when worn over an IPS t-shirt or polo. Heavy jackets may be worn when needed, but the IPS uniform must be worn properly under the jacket.
Remember, all of the following information, along with other activities, is available on the IPS school calendar located on the IPSKSA.com main page.
IPS’s list of upcoming events:
· MSA visit: IPS will be hosting a re-accreditation team of educators from the Middle States Association for Colleges and Schools (MSA). This event will take place March 17-20.
· IB Diploma Program Exams: We are proud of our first cohort of IB Diploma Program students (grade 12), who are working hard toward this very rigorous and highly prestigious achievement.
o Grade 12 Mock Exams: March 18-28, 2019. Grade 12 students need to be in attendance each school day in this period.
o IB World Exams: The exam window is May 6-24, 2019, and results will be returned by July 15, 2019. Grade 12 students have been provided with their specific exam program by the DP Coordinator. Student attendance is required based on individual exam programs.
· IB Parent Meetings:
o February 18, 2019, 5 PM: Please join Ms. Ciara Johnson, the interim IBDP Coordinator, for an informational session on IBDP grading. Topics will include understanding the 0-7 point scale, how composite marks are created in different subject areas, and how the EE, TOK, and CAS influence earning the IB Diploma. This session is intended for parents of current grade 11 students and for parents of grade 10 students (in preparation for next year).
o March 18, 2019, 5 PM: Please join us for an information night regarding the IB courses offered for the 2021 cohort. Parents and students should attend to hear about the course offerings, SL/HL differences, and university application planning advice. This meeting is for the parents of current grade 10 students.
· Model United Nations: We also look forward to several upcoming MUN conferences in which IPS students will participate in February and March.
· Parent Teachers Association: Our PTA is off to an amazing start, and are planning activities for IPS students, including Bake Sales and other special activities. Please watch for upcoming PTA meeting dates and times to be announced soon.
o PTA will host a community event, “WINTER FESTIVAL”, this Saturday, January 26, from 11:30 AM- 4:30 PM on the IPS Campus.
· STUCO and NHS: Our wonderful student organizations (STUCO and NHS) continue to engage IPS students in school-spirited events.
o STUCO Community Day is scheduled for February 7, from 1-4 PM. Please watch for details on this event.
· The Art Department: Preparations have begun for the second Art Exhibition of the year (K-11) and the First Annual IB Art Exhibition (Grade 12).
· Book Fair: Committee members are making ready for the second Book Fair.
· Math Competition: Registration for KANGAROO Math Competition is now open for all students. Exam date will be announced later (Mid of March usually). Students can choose the language they prefer for the exam. Link
· Admission for new students is underway.
· Session 3 Athletics & Clubs: Sign Ups for IPS After School 4 - 12 Athletics & Clubs (Session 3) will be open Sunday, February 3, and will end Thursday, February 7, 2019. Parents, please be sure to return your child’s club preference on time. All clubs will run from Sunday, February 10, through Wednesday, April 20, from 2:50 to 3:45 pm.
· Who doesn’t love a holiday? Spring Break is March 1-March 9, 2019.
· Semester 2 Exams: April 21-May 1 is the end of year exam period for grades 7-12. Please note that attendance is strongly encouraged as make-up exams are not possible. The specific exam program will be announced soon.